Decorating with vintage fabricsÂ can be a very rewarding way to add interesting accents to your home. OneÂ way to achieve thisÂ is by placing vintage fabric over a table top to make a dramatic table cover. Here is a quick step by step project that will show you how to do so.
The project is very simple, so you will get a lot of freedom over how creative you’d like to get. The Minwax polycrylic acts as a glue, which means that you can glue almost anything one fabric, create a design or patchwork over the table.
You will need:
- Minwax polycrylic (for fast drying)
- Paint brush
- Sand the table top to make it smooth.
- Dry fit the fabric to the size of the table.
- Apply thin coat of Minwax polycrylic to the table top. This will act like a glue.
- Gently lay fabric over the table top and smooth out.
- Liberally apply layer of Minwax polycrylic over the table top if you want to give it a glossy look.
- Trim the fabric off the sides of the table and tuck excess fabric under the sides.
- Continue applying multiple layers of the polycrylic over the table top, allowing the coat to dry each time. Soon you will get a nice, even top coat.
- Make finishing touches where you feel necessary! Remember, this project is super simple, so it’s really in your control to make it as unique and custom as possible.
Barras offers several vintage fabrics that would work well with a project like this. For some fabric inspiration, here are a couple you can consider using below.